Friday, July 17, 2009

Sand By The Ton - Review 1

Steam Society goes to Sand by the Ton, fashionable hedonism ensues:


Last weekend Sand By The Ton rocked the bay area, and seriously surpassed my expectations. It was off the charts in terms of elaborate madness and mega awesome music. It was particularly bizarre for me since I'd been awake for no less than three days and manically working the whole time. The event was like something out of a delightful nightmare, with a huge San Francisco-style indoor carnival, two story indoor burlesque house performance stage, the world second largest Tesla coil, 5 swimming pools which looked super gross, and of course, sand literally by the ton.

Tesla Coil with 30" lightning bolts. Hard to tell from the angle, but that coil is HUGE and the second largest in the world. I was probably 80" feet away from it in when I took this shot.


The warehouse was so much bigger and intense than I could have imagined, and I had a totally excellent time. It was a bit self-indulgent since I spotted several of my designs being worn by participants, and I was debuting a new custom outfit which was worn by one of the headlining DJs while he played the best set I heard all night. I haven't taken close up detail shots or well-composed editorial shots of the outfit, but keep an eye out for them in the next week or two, since this is an outfit I'm going to feature in my 2009 lookbook. The pictures I took there were not super high quality and I spent most of the time tring to get my camera to cooperate with the rave-tastic lights flashing everywhere.

In the crowd, from the back:


In the Opulent Temple DJ booth during performance:

The crowd. I was swimming through the crowd taking photos, and most people are taller than me, so its hard to tell just how HUGE and EXCITED this crowd was.


Being worn in the crowd I spotted my GNR Slash Steampunk Top Hat, that I made a while ago as a custom order , and managed to snap a blurry pic of it.

Can't live without one of your very own? I have one last Adult Small left in gray and black right here. And here's another photo that a someone else took. Hat is on the far left.

That's my quick synopsis. I have more pictures/videos/etc, and I'll be posting them next week. Lots of new stuff up for sale in my store, come over and check it out!

1 comment:

  1. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR ETSY??

    I still want that hat. I am leaving for asia right away but I was wondering if you could put it on layaway or something. But then I went to your etsy, and it was no longer.

    Email me brokenpuzzlepiece at hotmail dot com please! and I hope your shop comes back!

    ReplyDelete

www.DecibelProductions.etsy.com