Thursday, June 18, 2009

Business Development + Casting Call

Good morning, I'm happy to report that sunshine has finally made its way to San Francisco and I am NOT COLD for the first time in months.

In my on-going quest to either burn down my house or suffocate myself with toxic fumes, I have taken up soldering in my "kitchen". Now I'm extremely tempted to try to set up an electroplating rig too. Hey, I mean, Richard Feynman set one up in his dorm room. I don't have access to a vacuum though, which may complicate things. (That's imploding vacuum, not vroom carpet cleaner vacuum, although I don't have one of those either.) I have had luck teaming up with a US based metal finishing company, and while this will increase my costs, it will insure that my jewelry and metal accessories are certifiably lead-free and safe. This is important to you, (supremely awesome Steam Society members), since I don't want anyone being exposed to the unsafe metals that are rampantly available on the internet with virtually no accountability, but also important to me (hands-on designer) since I am pretty much swimming in all my design supplies and I'm pretty sure my daily 2-3 cups of green tea doesn't contain enough antioxidants to offset heavy metal poisoning.

Moving ON. I am looking for a small company, possibly local to the bay area, to do some custom metal castings and/or stampings. I have 8-15 designs for metal pendants that I want to have produced in smallish runs and I'm interested in teaming up with a metal production company that can do fairly inexpensive custom work, either old school or CAD/CAM. Send me your leads!

I'm slowly working on getting my hand-screen-printed and chemically-altered textile stuff up and ready, and I've turned my bathroom into a toxic fume bay in the process. Here's a sneak peak at some of my scraps I was messing around with while waiting for the dyes to develop:


And just so this post isn't too boring and non self-promoting, here are two of my favorite new items up for sale. Lots more up for grabs in the Steam Society Online Store, plus a birthstone-collection-sale of freshwater pearl steampunk jewelry for June Birthdays.

Tricked-Out Retro High-Wheeler Bicycle Necklace


Uber Ultra Alpha and Omega Working Clock Skeleton Key Necklace

1 comment:

www.DecibelProductions.etsy.com